Turtle Mountain Community College’s Upward Bound Program at Belcourt, North Dakota is designed to provide support and encouragement to program participants and develop skills and motivation necessary to complete a program of secondary education and to enter and succeed in a program of post-secondary education.
Upward Bound is a federal TRIO program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. This program is free and provides support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides low-income, first generation participants the skills and motivation necessary to complete their secondary education and to enter and succeed at a post-secondary institution. This is accomplished by providing the following services to incoming 9th-11th grade students at target schools:
- Personal and career counseling
- Academic advising
- Exposure to cultural events
- Academic programs and other educational activities not usually available to disadvantaged youth
- College campus visits
- Activities designed to acquaint youth with a range of career options
- A six-week academic summer component
- Students must have interest and desire to attend college
- Students must be willing to fully participate in Upward Bound in the summer and during the school year
- Upward Bound gives preference to students who are willing to remain in the program through graduation from high school
- Upward Bound encourages diversity and invites applications from eligible students of all racial and ethnic background
All Upward Bound projects MUST provide instruction in math, science, composition, and literature. Other services include:
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on post-secondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
Students who enroll in the Upward Bound program must be first generation college students or meet income eligibility guidelines.
- Students whose parents do not have a four-year college degree
- Students who meet federal income guidelines
- Students in grades 9-11
- Students who demonstrate academic potential
- Students from rural and cultural isolation
- Students in need of career guidance
Target Schools Served
- Dunseith Day School, Dunseith, ND
- Dunseith Public School, Dunseith, ND
- Mt. Pleasant School District #4, Rolla, ND
- Ojibwa Indian School, Belcourt, ND
- Rolette Public Schools, Rolette, ND
- St. John Public School, St. John, ND
- Turtle Mountain Community Schools, Belcourt, ND
How to apply?
Applications can be picked up at the Turtle Mountain Community College in the Upward Bound office. Interested applicants can also use the link below to print, fill out, and turn in the application.
Upward Bound Application (145 KB PDF)
The Turtle Mountain Community College is accredited through The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).