Computer Support Specialist: Overview
The computer support specialist program provides two years of technical computer education, leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree. Students will be prepared to work in various technical settings. Their experiences at TMCC will provide training in computer operating systems, networking, programming, and web design.
- Demonstrate superior customer service skills.
- Develop and create technical/procedural documentation.
- Plan and conduct PC hardware/software installation to meet the end user's needs.
- Analyze and solve computer hardware/software and network problems.
- Apply technical support and end user training skills.
- Plan and conduct workstation, network, and peripheral maintenance to meet end user's needs.
- Design, implement, and maintain a LAN or WAN.
- Administer computer networking hardware and software.
- Develop and maintain web sites using web design principles.
- Create graphics and multimedia for the web.
- Create and manage databases.
General Education Skills and Knowledge
In conjunction with core knowledge, skills, and abilities Computer Support Specialist students will attain the following knowledge and skills:
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, critical thinking, and detail oriented skills
- Outstanding customer service skills
- An ability to actively listen
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong reading comprehension skills
- Knowledge of arithmetic and algebra, and their applications
- Independent worker and team player
Typical positions available to graduates of this program are:
- Help Desk Support Technician
- PC Support Technician
- Web Support
- Security Specialist
- Web Developer
- Network Administrator
- A +
- CIW Foundations
- i-Net +
- Network +
- Security +
- Providing customer service support and technical assistance using the latest technology
- Providing hands-on technical assistance such as computer repair and software installation
- Providing system security using the latest software and hardware
TMCC offers three (3) areas of concentration leading to an Associate of Applied Science degree: Network Systems, Network and Data Communication, and Web Developer