Building Construction Technology: Overview
TMCC Building Construction Technology Program’s goal is to provide training to prepare students with knowledge and skills needed in the building construction industry. Students will enhance their technical skills through task oriented specific skills in carpentry. Students will practice their skills by building a residential home as a class project. Students will enhance their problem solving skills, decision making skills, and leadership skills with business courses in science, communications, management, computer technology courses, and general education courses. Students will learn service learning skills and leadership skills through student organization involvement, classroom discussions and demonstrations. The Building Construction Technology – Entrepreneur Emphasis provides students with the skills and knowledge to own or manage a business.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and skills needed in the construction industry, mainly residential home building
- Communicate effectively, speak, read, and write the language used on the job.
- Use technology effectively.
- Demonstrate human relationship skills.
- Demonstrate personal leadership skills.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving skills to make good effective decisions.
- Demonstrate professional behavior on the job.
- Demonstrate organizational skills needed in the workplace.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities on the job and in the community.
Program Goals and Objectives:
- Integrating Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa culture into the curriculum.
- Use Contren Learning Series curriculum in carpentry and management.
- Enroll students in NCCER National Registry in modules completed.
- Students will be involved in Building Construction Technology Student Organization.
- Students will be involved in Leadership and Community Service projects involving issues in the community.
- Students will learn Work-Base experience through an SOE course.
Typical positions available to graduates of this program are:
- Residential and Commercial Framing Carpenters
- Interior Finish Carpenters
- Construction Laborers
- Material Handlers
- Construction Estimators
- Lumber Sales Representatives
- Concrete Form Setters
- Metal Building and Pole Frame Builders
- Project Managers
- Business Owners
- Maintenance Workers/Facility Management Workers